Pages

22 July 2013

La Canadese's First Internship

Ok folks, contrary to popular belief, I didn't come here just to gallivant around and make you all insanely jealous of my life. I gave up my secure life in Vancouver to pursue a dream, and I am happy to report that over this past month I came a little bit closer to achieving that dream. I landed my first internship, in a buying office that works for a well-known upscale department store in the States. <Insert appluase here>

Things get hectic when the buyers arrive for Men's Fashion Week, and the main men's Spring Summer 2014 sales season, and the women's pre-Spring 2014 sales season. That's right, what you're buying right now is sooooooo last year, and we're all focused on what you'll be buying in-store next year.

I got quite a bit of hands on experience during my month there, and really got to understand the life of a multi-brand buyer. I saw all of the administrative support that needs to be done, but the most interesting part was definitely accompanying the buyers to their showroom appointments. It made me think back to a couple of project we did for school, where we were given a budget to buy a collection, and had to make sure we chose the right assortment of pieces, sizes, colours, and tops to bottoms. It wasn't easy. I had little cut-out images of each item that I kept rearranging until I had finally narrowed down my decision. Assisting the buyers through their appointments, I was in awe at times. They were so decisive, which I know comes with experience and knowing your market. Needless to say, I look forward to being in their shoes!

Going on the showroom appointments was definitely the most interesting part, but the most fun was going to some of the shows with the extra tickets that we had! Versace was the obvious highlight, not just because of the gorgeous male models who appeared to be covered in huge fluorescent band-aids.

I'll be back there in September for the main event (Women's Fashion Week and sales season for the main Spring Summer 2014 collections), so unfortunately for all of you I won't be creeping around outside of the fashions shows with my BFF Anna Wintour or have any backstage exclusives.
Les Hommes
Hello boys.
Give those trees some room to grow!
My new BFF.
Just kidding. This is.
I am so creepy.


Allora ragazzi, magari pensate altro, ma io non sono venuta qui solo per fare i viaggi e farvi essere gelosi di me. Ho lasciato tutto a Vancouver per seguire un sogno, e sono contenta a dirvi che durante quest'ultimo mese ho realizzato un pezzetino di questo sogno. Un'ufficio buying che lavora per un grande magazzino americano di lusso mi ha assunto come stagista. <Plauso qui>

I giorni diventano impegnativi quando arrivano i buyer per la settimana della moda uomo, poi la campagna vendita Spring/Summer per uomo, e Pre-Spring per donna. È vero, quello che comprate adesso in negozio è vecchissimoooooo, e noi ci focalizziamo su quello che comprate l'anno prossimo.

Ho fatto molte cose diverse durante il mese lavorando in quest'ufficio, e veramente ho visto la vita di un buyer per un negozio multi-brand. Ho visto le cose amministrative che si deve fare, ma sicuramente la parte più interessante era accompagnare i buyer in showroom. Mi ha fatto pensare ai progetti che abbiamo fatto a scuola dove abbiamo ricevuto un budget per comprare una collezione, e dovevamo scegliere il misto giusto di capi, taglie e colori. Non era facile. Usavo piccole imagini di ogni capo che continuavo a rimischiare fino a quando ho fatto la scelta finale. Aiutando i buyer durante gli appuntamenti in showroom,  ero a volte a bocca aperta. Sono stati così decisivi, che capisco è una cosa che viene con esperienza e conoscendo il suo mercato. Devo dire, non vedo l'ora di fare la stessa cosa!

Andando in showroom era veramente la parte più interessante, ma quella più divertente era andare a qualche sfilata usando i biglietti in più che avevamo. Ovviamente, la sfilata di Versace era un sogno, e non solo perchè era pieno di modelli bellissimi che sembravano di avere i cerotti giganteschi di fluo messi sul corpo.

Tornerò ancora a settembre per la settimana della moda donna e le campagne vendita per Spring/Summer. Quindi, mi dispiace per voi ma vuole dire che non sarò fuori le sfilate con la mia amica Anna Wintour, e che non vi scriverò da backstage.

No comments:

Post a Comment