Pages

19 April 2014

Marrakech: Part 3 - "Nice wrists, nice eyes!"

Ok, so back to Part 1 when I mentioned the huge culture shock; this was my first time visiting a Muslim country. For me, the most interesting part of this was the call to prayer. They start between 5am and 6am, and will likely wake you up, but it’s almost soothing. And, should you happen to try to siesta later on, you’ll get woken up again around midday, mid-afternoon, sunset, and nighttime. The pre-sunrise one always seemed to last the longest though, with each mosque chiming in at a different time. I don’t know if it’s because they need more of a reminder to get out of bed and pray at that hour, or because it takes each person at each mosque that much longer to get up and start calling. It was mesmerizing to sit on our riad’s rooftop in the middle of the medina and listen to a call to prayer because of how it seemed to surround you, coming from one mosque on one side, and then one farther away, and then one right next to you.

One thing that always made me laugh (and only sometimes made me feel like a piece of meat) was some of the comments we heard, that are obviously used on every single tourist so they come out so naturally for them. I don’t know if they’ll have the same effect when you read them, but here’s a sampling.

“Shakira! Lady Gaga!”
This was how they tried to get our attention. We felt like real celebrities. Actually, that’s all that we respond to now. Oh, and neither of us are blonde?

“Need a place to eat?”
“No thanks, we just ate.”
“But you look Starvin Marvin!”
This we got a few times walking through the food stalls in the square at night, and it made me laugh so hard.

“How much can you pay?”
Bargaining is the name of the game, but no one seems to respond well to “nothing.”

“Everything is half off because tomorrow I close.”
“Oh, you’re closing?”
“Yeah, tomorrow is my day off.”
“Oh, so you re-open the next day?”
“Well, yeah.”
Good sales technique.

“Small store, small price. Big store, big price.”
In an effort to convince us he had better prices.

“I’ll take you to my brother’s / father’s / uncle’s / cousin’s / relative’s store where you’ll get the best deal.”
We even promised this kid who showed us to Terrasse des épices that we would visit his dad’s store after. We didn’t...

“Where are you from? English? Oh, Canada? I have a cousin there!”
Doesn’t everybody?

“No guide, no money, no problem.”
We wised up pretty quickly and told anyone who offered us directions that we had no money to give them.

“Oh, you’re looking for <insert any place here>? I’m actually going there right now, I’ll show you!”
See comment above.

“Wow, nice wrists, nice eyes.”
Just kidding, they were actually saying “nice breasts, nice ass” but it sounded a lot like wrists and eyes. Sweetest words a girl could ever hear?

No comments:

Post a Comment