Pages

2 January 2014

Bergamo: Not Just a Hub for Cheap Flights

I’ve realized a few things about myself while writing this blog. 1. I like writing, and love when people tell me that they like reading what I write (no, I’m not fishing for compliments!). 2. Sometimes I forget to write... for a really, really long time. On that note, I have trips that I haven’t shared with you, and some stories to make you laugh!

In early December, my Canadian and I trekked off to visit my friend Monica in Bergamo for the day. I've been to Bergamo a few times to take advantage of a cheap flight with RyanAir, but for most of us, that’s the only time we go to Bergamo. After this day, I'd go back in a heartbeat. There’s the modern lower town, and the historic upper town. On top of that, there’s even San Vigilio with views that you can’t even imagine. Mind you, my view for weeks before going there was pretty much just the sidewalks of Milan because so much time is spent looking down to avoid stepping in dog poo! So, I might be exaggerating the views... but we did also get lucky with a spectacularly beautiful sunny day. 

People from Bergamo are known for never leaving Bergamo. After this visit, I understand why.

You should try to make a point in life of going to Bergamo - all three areas mentioned above. We wanted to take the cable-car (is that the right word?) to San Vigilio for lunch, and we asked the closest ticket vendor for three tickets. You would think (and this is a phrase you should NEVER use in Italy) that he would tell us that it doesn’t run during the lunch break. You would think. Instead, we go back to the cable-car, tickets in hand, to find out that it doesn’t run between 1pm and 3pm (ish). No problem, we take the bus. Again, you would think that with only a handful of people on the bus, the bus driver might announce the stop in San Vigilio. But, once we start going back down the hill we realize that almost all of us aboard have missed the San Vigilio stop. Luckily we got off not too far away and wandered back up where we had a delicious lunch and even more delicious views. It was a great break from everyday life in Milan, and I’d definitely go back to wander around some more.
Would you like a little view with your coffee?

No comments:

Post a Comment