Pages

24 January 2014

The Other Monaco.

I want to live in Munich. If anyone has any tips on how to make this happen, please let me know immediately. The city is beautiful, and like all things German, it works. Some of the simplest things blew my mind. For example, you know how annoying it is when you’re trying to get off the metro and everyone trying to get on is standing in front of the doors? I mean, I’m not Moses, get out of my way. In Munich, you get on the train on one side, while everyone is getting off on the other side. Genius. Smarty pants.

Walking tours have also become my new favourite travel activity. The history is Munich is fascinating, and a walking tour makes for a much more interesting way to see a city. Anyway, back to the city. A place that offers you beer, sausages, and pretzels as breakfast can’t really be that bad, right? And this is coming from a person who prior to December 2013 was a self-confessed non beer-drinker.

But better than the fruit punch beer, or breakfast sausages, or pretzels at every corner, was the Feuerzangenbowle. If you haven’t had this before, all I can do is feel a bit of pity for you and then copy and paste the definition: “Feuerzangenbowle is a traditional German alcoholic drink for which a rum-soaked sugarloaf is set on fire and drips into mulled wine. It is often part of a Christmas or New Year's Eve tradition. The name translates literally to fire-tongs punch.”
Rum-soaked sugarloaf.
Mulled wine.
Rum-soaked sugarloaf and mulled wine.
Weak in the knees yet?
There’s a picture of us standing in front of an enormous cauldron of it below. Literally a market dedicated to the amazingness of this drink.

And no, Feuerzangenbowle is not the only reason I want to move back to Munich.
That's a burning pot of delicious behind us.
Obviously I had to see the Michael Jackson memorial in Munich.
Gute Fahrt provided hours of giggles. HOURS.

No comments:

Post a Comment