Pages

20 March 2013

Barcelona

So here's a funny story. I've been to Spain twice now, in less than three months, but I still haven't been to SPAIN Spain. Confused? Well, my first trip was to Tenerife, part of the Canary Islands. So many people told me that it wasn't really Spain that I thought I should return to Spain to be able to properly judge it. Upon arriving in Barcelona, my friend informs me that Barcelona is also not really Spain, it's actually Catalonia.

Ok, Spain. I get the hint. You don't want me.

But that's fine. I was happy to escape the rainy Vancouver-like weather in Milano to enjoy a weekend of sunshine in Barcelona, with two friends that I actually met over Christmas in the other non-Spain.

We were only in the city for less than 36 hours, so luckily Teresa (who lives there) was able to pack those hours full of activities. Here are some highlights:

The market: We started our morning here, and were pretty much in awe of the fruit and veggies here. The colours were incredible. The only thing I can think to compare it to (in terms of visual) is the Granville Island market, in HD. So much variety, and so inexpensive!!! For my photography friends, if you find yourself in Barcelona then make sure to go to the market first thing in the morning to beat the crowds and take tons of beautiful photos.

Starbucks: I know. I'm ashamed. But when you've lived above a Starbucks for 3.5 years and then you move to a country without a single one, it's a bit of a culture shock. I bought a Starbucks latte. The good news is that in the end I didn't really enjoy it. But try me again in October when the Pumpkin Spice latte is out...

€3.50 mojitos.

The beach: What. Is. Up. We walked on the beach, in the sand, in t-shirts and bare feet. The day could not have been any more beautiful. Oh wait, it was! Later that night we went back to the beach to go to the bars! Life is pretty good when you can spend all day and night on the beach if you want.

€3.50 mojitos.

Street performers: The music coming from these artists is incredible. We stopped to watch one group in particular because they were so amusing (and we had to take in some sunshine!). Here are both videos, but watch the old guy on the left in particular. When he wasn't playing, he looked like a grumpy old man, but when he got started on that trumpet he was having a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment