Pages

2 October 2013

La Spezia and Le Cinque Terre (NOT the 5 Lands)

In case you don't know this already, translating names is a pet peeve of mine. I just found out this year (from a 12-year old), that Christopher Columbus' name was actually Cristoforo Colombo! WHAT! Needless to say, every time an Italian talked to my Dad and me about the Five Lands (Le Cinque Terre) a piece of me died.

Now that I have that off my chest, let's get back to the fun times! We put down roots for a couple of nights in La Spezia, in a great location, and explored from our new home base. On the first day we jetted off on a boat cruise over to Portovenere which I'd highly recommend to all.

The next day we hit the "Five Lands." I have never seen so many people. In. My. Life. We started off at the most Northern town and then worked our way back down towards the end of the day, ending up for a few drinks in this cute mountainside bar in the last town. A good day trip, but in my opinion it's more enjoyable to stay in La Spezia and train out to Le Cinque Terre instead of staying in one of them.

Nel caso in cui non sapevate già, tradurre i nomi è una cosa che ODIO. Ho scoperto quest'anno (grazie a una ragazza di 12 anni), che Christopher Columbus si chiamava Cristoforo Colombo. PAZZESCO! Quindi, ovviamente, ogni volta che un'italiano ci parlava delle Five Lands (Le Cinque Terre) un pezzetino di me si è morto.

Adesso che sono un po' più calma, torniamo al divertimento! Ci siamo fermati un paio di notti a La Spezia, in centro, e da lì abbiamo visto un po' della città, e siamo anche andati a Portovenere (da non perdere se siete in zona!). 

Il giorno prossimo, "The Five Lands." Non ho mai visto così tanta gente. Mai, mai, mai. Abbiamo iniziato nella "Land" più nord, tornando piano piano a La Spezia. Perfetto per un giorno, ma secondo me è più piacevole stare a La Spezia e andare col treno alle Cinque Terre invece di prenotare un albergo lì.

No comments:

Post a Comment