Pages

3 April 2013

Bari

Easter vacation started out with an early flight down south. We left gray and rainy Milano to search out sunny skies by the ocean. So far, I'm doing okay with my new year's resolution to find the seaside at least every six weeks. Proof:
Bari is a beautiful little town. The historic centre leaves you totally disoriented, but I've come to learn that I love getting lost in new places - it really is the best way to see the sights. I have to admit, one thing that blew my mind was seeing standalone stores such as Louis Vuitton in this town. Honestly, in my mind I pictured Bari as just a small town in southern Italy, so seeing LV there was like seeing LV in Nanaimo. Odd.

We checked out some churches, and had to find a specific church where Russians go to pray to San Nicola (yep, that's jolly old Saint Nic to us). Here he is below making total eye contact with me (colourful statue) and also sharing his message of peace (man).


Bari was full of Russians who make the trip to pray to him. Signs are written in Italian and Russian, instead of the Italian and English that I've become so used to.

-----


Le vacanze di pasqua hanno cominciato con un volo al sud nella mattina presto. Siamo partite dalla pioggia e la grigia di Milano per trovare un po' di sole al mare. Fino ad adesso, più o meno ce la faccio con la mia 'new year's resolution' di andare al mare al meno ogni sei settimane. Vedete:
Bari è una città bellissima. Il centro storico ti fa perdere, ma come ho imparato, mi piace troppo perdermi nelle città nuove - è veramente il modo migliore per vedere una città. Per dire la verità, una cosa stranissima per me era vedere un negozio come Louis Vuitton qui a Bari. Veramente, ho imaginato questa città come solo una città piccolina del sud Italia, e quindi vedere un negozio come LV è stato come vedere un negozio di LV a Nanaimo. Troppo strano.

Abbiamo visto un paio di chiese, e dovevamo trovare una chiesa specifica dove vanno i russi per pregare a San Nicola (si, per noi si chiama 'jolly old Saint Nic). Eccolo sotto guardandomi negli occhi, e poi anche facendo il segno di pace (peace man).


Bari era pieno dei russi che viaggiano per pregare a lui. I segni sono scritti in italiano e russo, invece di italiano e inglese a cui sono abituata adesso.

2 comments:

  1. I hate to tell you Olivia BUT I despised Bari!!!! The only place in Italy that I didn't love :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it!! Why??? Napoli was the disappointment for me (other than the pizza haha).

      Delete